Denatured Alcohol

BP, EP, USP, JP Grade

Denatured alcohol is commonly used in the chemical industry. As a bulk supplier of denatured alcohol, Sasma offers various bulk packaging options of this alcohol.

Denatured alcohol uses and Denaturation

Denaturants are added to the alcohol, causing it to be declassified as potable alcohol. Denaturants such as Bitrex, DEP or MEK are added to make the denatured alcohol unfit for consumption. Therefore, excise tax duties can be reduced.

The alcohol keeps its neutral odor, meaning it will not affect your product. Denaturation can even increase the ability of ethanol to be a better solvent. The denatured ethanol will also receive a different product code.

Quality and Certifications

To meet the pharmaceutical and medical industry quality requirements our denatured alcohol complies with British Pharmacopeia (BP), United States Pharmacopeia (USP), European Pharmacopeia (EP) and Japanese Pharmacopeia (JP) standards.

Why work with Sasma?

We meet your distinctive demands, working flexibly and dependably. Sasma is an ISO 22000:2018 certified company. We are able to supply the highest quality and do so consistently. All our denatured alcohol is produced adhering to strict standards so you can use it confidently in both pharmaceutical and medical fields.

Applications and Use

Denatured alcohol can be utilized for electronic, cosmetic, and pharmaceutical purposes. It has served as a solvent for laboratory use, as well as a cleaning agent and disinfectant. Additionally, denatured alcohol can help in specimen preservation.

HOW ITS MADE The production of denatured alcohol is the process in which ethanol is made, but denaturants are added to the alcohol, resulting in the declassification of it as potable alcohol. Denaturation of the ethanol may increase the ability of it to be a better solvent. Due to the addition of denaturants, the denatured ethanol will receive a different product code. STEP ONE Choosing the Feedstock During this step, the type of feedstock is chosen for milling. The most popular grains used for 192 proof ethanol are corn kernels or wheat kernels. STEP TWO Milling of the Chosen Feedstock Once the grain is chosen, it’s time to begin milling. Milling refers to the biological process in which the kernels are ground into a meal, which is a form of flour. This process uses starches, which are long chains of sugar molecules that classify starches as carbohydrates. STEP THREE Liquefaction Once milling is complete, liquefaction begins. This is the process in which water is added to the milled kernels to make ‘slurry,’ which is then heated to break up the long starch molecules chained together into smaller pieces. Alpha-amylase is an enzyme that is added to this mixture to speed up, or catalyze, the breakdown of starch molecules. STEP FOUR Saccharification During this step, the starch molecules that were previously broken down into smaller pieces are now broken down into simple sugar glucose. This process uses the enzyme glucoamylase to catalyze this reaction. STEP FIVE Fermentation Fermentation is the biochemical process in which glucose is broken down by yeast. Yeast are the single-cell microorganisms that are added to the slurry that get their energy from the glucose. As a result of this reaction, ethanol is produced. STEP SIX Distillation and Dehydration The ethanol that was produced during fermentation only ranges from about 10 to 15% ethanol concentration. In order to become 100% ethanol, it must be concentrated. The process to do this is referred to as distillation. In this process, the ethanol is evaporated and condensed at its boiling point (which is lower than waters). The distillation process produced ethanol 95% with the remaining 5% of the mixture being water. Next is the dehydration process. During this process, the mixture is then strained to dehydrate it, producing pure ethanol. STEP SEVEN Denaturation Once the ethanol 100% is produced, it is time for denaturation. In this step, a small amount of gasoline is added to the pure ethanol to make this mixture undrinkable.  
ISO 9001, ISO 22000, Lloyd's Register
Available upon request
Our denatured alcohol complies with British Pharmacopeia (BP), European Pharmacopeia (EP) and Japanese Pharmacopeia (JP) standards


Sasma's dedication to efficiency and effectiveness

working with Sasma since 2015

European Distillery

Sasma's dedication to efficiency and effectiveness

Client in Asia

working with sasma since 2014

Sasma's sales agent speaks our language!

Liquor company in South America

working with sasma since 2016

Make an inquiry

How can we help?

General Sales Inquiries:

Office Phone: 
+31 79 204 0824

Submit your info and we will get back to you

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.